Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Women’s Getaway- An Intern’s Perspective

I am not one for spending an extended time talking about my feelings, wearing a bathing suit in February, massages, or even resting. But last year, I went to the MidSouth Women’s Getaway anyway. Honestly, if a few ladies on my staff team were not going and had not convinced me that it would be a nice break from the busyness of life, I would have never experienced all the Lord had in store for me during those few days.

When it came time to register for the Getaway, my answer was no thanks. I could not help but thinking about how I was an Intern, wouldn’t know anyone there, and going away for a few days with women was so far out of my comfort zone that I didn’t really think twice about my decision. After staff meeting one day, a few women on my team told me I should consider going, I dismissed the idea once again and left dismissing their suggestion completely. That afternoon it was all I could think about. It was so strange to me that I could not get the idea out of my head. So after much thought and going back and forth, I registered and wrote it in on my calendar.

Once there, all of my fears about going came back. Sitting in the first meeting I realized that there were familiar faces in the room. Women I had met at Encounter, fellow Interns who I spent a week in Tennessee with, and the other random “I know you from somewhere but can’t remember exactly” women which removed my apprehension about not knowing anyone. The whole fear of spending time with women and talking about my feelings wasn’t even an issue during those days. Each session was so well designed to where I did not feel uncomfortable talking about my sin and struggles at all. I actually enjoyed it!

 

view from GPI

 

Those few days ended up being one of my favorite retreats as an Intern. I think it was a culmination of getting to know women you could talk about ministry with, learning from women on how God has been working in the hard times of life, and getting to spend time with the Lord one afternoon reflecting on the past year made me not regret my decision at all. While sitting in a rocking chair looking out at the mountains, God really showed me that my apprehensions were really just me being afraid to step out in faith and do something that was uncomfortable. I was reminded of how important rest truly is, and how God wants us to take refuge in Him. I remember leaving Asheville refreshed, renewed and excited to return to campus.

So if you are like me, not sure if you should go or not, my advice would be to do it! Sign up for a restful time with other women who are doing life in ministry just like you, where you can get away from home and experience the Lord through rest and relaxation. You never know, you may just get a few good laughs out of it too!

Hannah

~Hannah Spragins
Cru Staff serving on the NC State Team

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even have to scroll down to the picture/author to know that Hannah wrote this. I could hear her sweet voice in that first paragraph. I'm so glad you were there too!

    ReplyDelete